Salta al contenuto
Citiverse è uno spazio aperto a tutte le comunità. Se vuoi aprire un gruppo locale o una sezione per la tua organizzazione, puoi contattare gli amministratori: pagina dei contatti.

Fanfiction has never had a federated home — should we just potentially take over SquidgeWorld Archive (or fork the code)?

Fediverse
7 5 17
  • scritto su ultima modifica di teknevra@lemmy.world
    #1

    cross-posted from: https://lemmy.world/post/50855395

    I (and a lot of other people, I'd guess) read and write fanfiction.

    But as far as I know, there's never really been a federated fanfic platform — nothing that plugs into the fediverse the way Mastodon does for microblogging or PeerTube/Loops does for video.


    Then I stumbled upon SquidgeWorld Archive (SQWA), an AO3 alternative that actually runs on the same codebase as AO3 otwarchive.

    It's got way fewer users than AO3, which honestly gives it a cozier, more small-town vibe.

    The devs/maintainers behind it, squidge.org, even run both Mastodon and Bluesky accounts.

    The catch: people have posted that fics pulling thousands of views on AO3 get little to none on SQWA. Makes sense — it's just a much smaller pond.


    So, two half-formed ideas that I wanted to possibly toss out:

    Suggestion #1 — "colonize" SQWA.

    What if fediverse-native fanfic folks just started actually posting there? Cross-link your fediverse socials, bring your existing following over, treat it like planting a flag. It already exists, the maintainers are clearly fediverse-friendly, it just needs bodies.


    Suggestion #2 — fork it (and ao3) and actually federate it.

    AO3's otwarchive code is open source, which is exactly what SQWA is running on. What if someone forked it and built out real federation — ActivityPub support, the whole deal — instead of just being a second standalone AO3 clone? That feels like the "real" long-term fix, but it's a genuine software undertaking, not a weekend project.


    I'd love to take a crack at #2 myself but I don't have the time or the technical bandwidth for something that size right now, so I'm just putting it out there in case it resonates with anyone here.

    Curious what this community thinks — is #1 realistic, or does fanfiction just need a ground-up federated archive to actually work?


    Edit: Sorry for any mistakes, I'm currently at work.


    Edit Edit:*** There are also these Ao3 mirror sites and alternatives:

    Mirror sites:

    https://archiveofourown.gay/

    https://archive.transformativeworks.org/

    https://insecure.archiveofourown.org/

    Redirects:

    https://archiveofourown.com/

    https://archiveofourown.net/

    https://archiveofourown.site/

    https://ao3.gay/

    https://ao3.org/

    Other Alternatives:

    https://sunset.femslash.club/

    https://www.cfaarchive.org/

  • cross-posted from: https://lemmy.world/post/50855395

    I (and a lot of other people, I'd guess) read and write fanfiction.

    But as far as I know, there's never really been a federated fanfic platform — nothing that plugs into the fediverse the way Mastodon does for microblogging or PeerTube/Loops does for video.


    Then I stumbled upon SquidgeWorld Archive (SQWA), an AO3 alternative that actually runs on the same codebase as AO3 otwarchive.

    It's got way fewer users than AO3, which honestly gives it a cozier, more small-town vibe.

    The devs/maintainers behind it, squidge.org, even run both Mastodon and Bluesky accounts.

    The catch: people have posted that fics pulling thousands of views on AO3 get little to none on SQWA. Makes sense — it's just a much smaller pond.


    So, two half-formed ideas that I wanted to possibly toss out:

    Suggestion #1 — "colonize" SQWA.

    What if fediverse-native fanfic folks just started actually posting there? Cross-link your fediverse socials, bring your existing following over, treat it like planting a flag. It already exists, the maintainers are clearly fediverse-friendly, it just needs bodies.


    Suggestion #2 — fork it (and ao3) and actually federate it.

    AO3's otwarchive code is open source, which is exactly what SQWA is running on. What if someone forked it and built out real federation — ActivityPub support, the whole deal — instead of just being a second standalone AO3 clone? That feels like the "real" long-term fix, but it's a genuine software undertaking, not a weekend project.


    I'd love to take a crack at #2 myself but I don't have the time or the technical bandwidth for something that size right now, so I'm just putting it out there in case it resonates with anyone here.

    Curious what this community thinks — is #1 realistic, or does fanfiction just need a ground-up federated archive to actually work?


    Edit: Sorry for any mistakes, I'm currently at work.


    Edit Edit:*** There are also these Ao3 mirror sites and alternatives:

    Mirror sites:

    https://archiveofourown.gay/

    https://archive.transformativeworks.org/

    https://insecure.archiveofourown.org/

    Redirects:

    https://archiveofourown.com/

    https://archiveofourown.net/

    https://archiveofourown.site/

    https://ao3.gay/

    https://ao3.org/

    Other Alternatives:

    https://sunset.femslash.club/

    https://www.cfaarchive.org/

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #2

    Could of course make a piefed instance for fanfiction. It won't work as well as these archive sites, but it would be federated at least.

  • cross-posted from: https://lemmy.world/post/50855395

    I (and a lot of other people, I'd guess) read and write fanfiction.

    But as far as I know, there's never really been a federated fanfic platform — nothing that plugs into the fediverse the way Mastodon does for microblogging or PeerTube/Loops does for video.


    Then I stumbled upon SquidgeWorld Archive (SQWA), an AO3 alternative that actually runs on the same codebase as AO3 otwarchive.

    It's got way fewer users than AO3, which honestly gives it a cozier, more small-town vibe.

    The devs/maintainers behind it, squidge.org, even run both Mastodon and Bluesky accounts.

    The catch: people have posted that fics pulling thousands of views on AO3 get little to none on SQWA. Makes sense — it's just a much smaller pond.


    So, two half-formed ideas that I wanted to possibly toss out:

    Suggestion #1 — "colonize" SQWA.

    What if fediverse-native fanfic folks just started actually posting there? Cross-link your fediverse socials, bring your existing following over, treat it like planting a flag. It already exists, the maintainers are clearly fediverse-friendly, it just needs bodies.


    Suggestion #2 — fork it (and ao3) and actually federate it.

    AO3's otwarchive code is open source, which is exactly what SQWA is running on. What if someone forked it and built out real federation — ActivityPub support, the whole deal — instead of just being a second standalone AO3 clone? That feels like the "real" long-term fix, but it's a genuine software undertaking, not a weekend project.


    I'd love to take a crack at #2 myself but I don't have the time or the technical bandwidth for something that size right now, so I'm just putting it out there in case it resonates with anyone here.

    Curious what this community thinks — is #1 realistic, or does fanfiction just need a ground-up federated archive to actually work?


    Edit: Sorry for any mistakes, I'm currently at work.


    Edit Edit:*** There are also these Ao3 mirror sites and alternatives:

    Mirror sites:

    https://archiveofourown.gay/

    https://archive.transformativeworks.org/

    https://insecure.archiveofourown.org/

    Redirects:

    https://archiveofourown.com/

    https://archiveofourown.net/

    https://archiveofourown.site/

    https://ao3.gay/

    https://ao3.org/

    Other Alternatives:

    https://sunset.femslash.club/

    https://www.cfaarchive.org/

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #3

    Possibly infeasible Suggestion #3. Work with AO3 and its parent organization to see if there’s a way to give it ActivityPub support and assist in implementation?

  • Possibly infeasible Suggestion #3. Work with AO3 and its parent organization to see if there’s a way to give it ActivityPub support and assist in implementation?

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #4

    You can, if you want.

    I've already tried contacting them, via their contact form, about it, but I've never gotten a response back.

    Plus, Squidge might make more sense / be easier, given that they have both Mastodon, and Bluesky, accounts, that you would be able to contact them via.

  • Could of course make a piefed instance for fanfiction. It won't work as well as these archive sites, but it would be federated at least.

    scritto su ultima modifica di rimu@piefed.social
    #5

    Yes I don't see how fanfiction is so different from other content that it requires a whole new platform be developed.

  • You can, if you want.

    I've already tried contacting them, via their contact form, about it, but I've never gotten a response back.

    Plus, Squidge might make more sense / be easier, given that they have both Mastodon, and Bluesky, accounts, that you would be able to contact them via.

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #6

    That’s sad to hear. Unfortunately, I’m a non-developer user and I stopped my gorgeously mediocre fic writing career a few years back.

  • Yes I don't see how fanfiction is so different from other content that it requires a whole new platform be developed.

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #7

    Seconded (thirded?). Also if posted as text-only and specially if posted somewhere that allows crossposting, it should make easier to preserve, even if the original instance goes down.


Citiverse è un progetto che si basa su NodeBB ed è federato! | Categorie federate | Chat | 📱 Installa web app o APK | 🧡 Donazioni | Privacy Policy

Il server utilizzato è quello di Webdock, in Danimarca. Se volete provarlo potete ottenere il 20% di sconto con questo link e noi riceveremo un aiuto sotto forma di credito da usare proprio per mantenere Citiverse.