Salta al contenuto
Citiverse è uno spazio aperto a tutte le comunità. Se vuoi aprire un gruppo locale o una sezione per la tua organizzazione, puoi contattare gli amministratori: pagina dei contatti.

Introducing the Threadiverse Catalog

  • scritto ultima modifica di panos@catodon.rocks
    #1

    I'm the maintainer of Catodon, which offers both microblogging and forums (Lemmy-compatible communities), and we noticed that discoverability is not the threadiverse's strongest point: Our server only showed forums/communities that it "knew" because someone from the server already followed them. In Reddit it's easy to see if there is a community for a subject you care about; on the Fediverse it's not that easy.

    So I looked at what indexes there are, and most were focused in Lemmy - lemmyverse.net has added MBin and PieFed explorers, but I was looking for something that covers more platforms, and is a unified directory, rather than per-platform only. Maybe there is something that I missed, but I didn't find what I was looking for: a directory for the threadiverse. So I decided to build it.

    The Threadiverse Catalog lists forums/communities from Catodon, Discourse, Friendica, Lemmy, Mbin, Mobilizon, NodeBB and PieFed. It hasn't been online for many days, so it hasn't indexed everything, but we already list over 20.000 forums/communities. If there are any bugs or other issues, please let me know.

    We built this primarily for Catodon, and on our latest release (26.10.0 "Bongo Cat") users have access to its results through the in-app Search and Explore features, but it's open for everyone to use. It's open source and written in Go. Other projects are also welcome to use it.

    Cheers 😃

    #threadiverse #fediverse #catodon #discourse #friendica #lemmy #mbin #mobilizon #nodebb #piefed

  • I'm the maintainer of Catodon, which offers both microblogging and forums (Lemmy-compatible communities), and we noticed that discoverability is not the threadiverse's strongest point: Our server only showed forums/communities that it "knew" because someone from the server already followed them. In Reddit it's easy to see if there is a community for a subject you care about; on the Fediverse it's not that easy.

    So I looked at what indexes there are, and most were focused in Lemmy - lemmyverse.net has added MBin and PieFed explorers, but I was looking for something that covers more platforms, and is a unified directory, rather than per-platform only. Maybe there is something that I missed, but I didn't find what I was looking for: a directory for the threadiverse. So I decided to build it.

    The Threadiverse Catalog lists forums/communities from Catodon, Discourse, Friendica, Lemmy, Mbin, Mobilizon, NodeBB and PieFed. It hasn't been online for many days, so it hasn't indexed everything, but we already list over 20.000 forums/communities. If there are any bugs or other issues, please let me know.

    We built this primarily for Catodon, and on our latest release (26.10.0 "Bongo Cat") users have access to its results through the in-app Search and Explore features, but it's open for everyone to use. It's open source and written in Go. Other projects are also welcome to use it.

    Cheers 😃

    #threadiverse #fediverse #catodon #discourse #friendica #lemmy #mbin #mobilizon #nodebb #piefed

    scritto ultima modifica di
    #2
    Interesting idea! i wanted to see hubzilla in this, it already has its own directory(e.g https://hub.hubzilla.de/directory?f=&safe=0) so i guess it would not be too complicated to index its communities.
    Does catodon support private communities/forums?
  • Interesting idea! i wanted to see hubzilla in this, it already has its own directory(e.g https://hub.hubzilla.de/directory?f=&safe=0) so i guess it would not be too complicated to index its communities.
    Does catodon support private communities/forums?
    scritto ultima modifica di
    #3

    We do! But private forums only federate with other Catodon servers atm. I will look into Hubzilla's communities again - I think I saw they had some incompatibilities and that's why I left them out, but I may remember wrong. Will check it out later today, thanks for the suggestion.

  • I'm the maintainer of Catodon, which offers both microblogging and forums (Lemmy-compatible communities), and we noticed that discoverability is not the threadiverse's strongest point: Our server only showed forums/communities that it "knew" because someone from the server already followed them. In Reddit it's easy to see if there is a community for a subject you care about; on the Fediverse it's not that easy.

    So I looked at what indexes there are, and most were focused in Lemmy - lemmyverse.net has added MBin and PieFed explorers, but I was looking for something that covers more platforms, and is a unified directory, rather than per-platform only. Maybe there is something that I missed, but I didn't find what I was looking for: a directory for the threadiverse. So I decided to build it.

    The Threadiverse Catalog lists forums/communities from Catodon, Discourse, Friendica, Lemmy, Mbin, Mobilizon, NodeBB and PieFed. It hasn't been online for many days, so it hasn't indexed everything, but we already list over 20.000 forums/communities. If there are any bugs or other issues, please let me know.

    We built this primarily for Catodon, and on our latest release (26.10.0 "Bongo Cat") users have access to its results through the in-app Search and Explore features, but it's open for everyone to use. It's open source and written in Go. Other projects are also welcome to use it.

    Cheers 😃

    #threadiverse #fediverse #catodon #discourse #friendica #lemmy #mbin #mobilizon #nodebb #piefed

    scritto ultima modifica di snoopy@piefed.social
    #4

    Oh very cool, i asked about PieFed support since you mentionned Lemmy API, and there is everything. Thank a lot ! 🙂

  • scritto ultima modifica di
    #5
    hubzilla is a fork of friendica so the differences shouldnt be too many.
  • hubzilla is a fork of friendica so the differences shouldnt be too many.
    scritto ultima modifica di
    #6

    It's more complicated than that: Hubzilla was forked from Friendica in 2012; Friendica adopted ActivityPub in 2018. So they have different implementations.

    I re-checked, and not listing Hubzilla by default has valid reasons. The main one is that, unlike other platforms, hubzilla servers do not declare their communities, so our crawler can't see them. Also federation is opt-in, so many of the communities in that directory are not reachable.

    We will include Hubzilla communities, but only after specific suggestions through the form we have on the site.

  • I'm the maintainer of Catodon, which offers both microblogging and forums (Lemmy-compatible communities), and we noticed that discoverability is not the threadiverse's strongest point: Our server only showed forums/communities that it "knew" because someone from the server already followed them. In Reddit it's easy to see if there is a community for a subject you care about; on the Fediverse it's not that easy.

    So I looked at what indexes there are, and most were focused in Lemmy - lemmyverse.net has added MBin and PieFed explorers, but I was looking for something that covers more platforms, and is a unified directory, rather than per-platform only. Maybe there is something that I missed, but I didn't find what I was looking for: a directory for the threadiverse. So I decided to build it.

    The Threadiverse Catalog lists forums/communities from Catodon, Discourse, Friendica, Lemmy, Mbin, Mobilizon, NodeBB and PieFed. It hasn't been online for many days, so it hasn't indexed everything, but we already list over 20.000 forums/communities. If there are any bugs or other issues, please let me know.

    We built this primarily for Catodon, and on our latest release (26.10.0 "Bongo Cat") users have access to its results through the in-app Search and Explore features, but it's open for everyone to use. It's open source and written in Go. Other projects are also welcome to use it.

    Cheers 😃

    #threadiverse #fediverse #catodon #discourse #friendica #lemmy #mbin #mobilizon #nodebb #piefed

    scritto ultima modifica di
    #7

    I notice that lot community are under the hashtag #fediverse, can we change and suggest other hashtag ?

  • I notice that lot community are under the hashtag #fediverse, can we change and suggest other hashtag ?

    scritto ultima modifica di
    #8

    I'm not sure what you mean by "can we change", if they choose to put it in their description we can't do much

  • 0 Votazioni
    14 Post
    6 Visualizzazioni
    silverpill@mitra.socialS
    @manlycoffee I don't use AI to write code. But I accept AI assisted contributions - because they are indistinguishable from organic ones.
  • Is it on purpose, that the word fediverse ends with diverse?

    Fediverse fediverse
    8
    17 Votazioni
    8 Post
    16 Visualizzazioni
    die4ever@retrolemmy.comD
    I don't think so, it's just Federated-Universe
  • 1 Votazioni
    76 Post
    54 Visualizzazioni
    hyblon@social.vivaldi.netH
    @smallcircles @spraoi @gumnos @evanBefore we started internalizing the jargon from across the pond, we Italians had a habit of simply calling someone a “testa di cazzo,” roughly “dickhead.” It was neutral and inclusive: it could apply to anyone. We didn't need words like fascist, racist, homophobe, antivaxxer, Russian troll, or whatever else is trendy. Someone could simply be a dickhead. Nothing less, nothing more.
  • 2 Votazioni
    102 Post
    38 Visualizzazioni
    openstars@piefed.socialO
    It's been a couple weeks and I wanted to add another perspective about this. I noticed a user downvoting posts, https://lemvotes.org/user/FarStare@lemmy.dbzer0.com if it helps to have specifics. In the more than one full year of existing, they have never once contributed via making a post, never once commenting even, just doling out up- and down-votes in roughly equal proportion, and even those nearly exclusively via posts but almost never comments. I am not concerned about receiving votes from PugJesus - either up or down, as PugJesus has earned the right to speak on behalf of the community. But who is this other person who is influencing how others see my content? Are they male or female? Do they have a degree of some kind? Do they primarily visit meme communities, as the vote pattern might suggest, or other communities as well? So how do I feel about people who use the Threadiverse more than others? My answer is more complex and nuanced than simply yay or nay. I might prefer the opposite of the implemented feature even - the more someone posts (including comments?), the more upvotes they are allowed to make? Have they not earned such? Also, if votes were exposed, each individual could decide for themselves how they wanted to make use of voting - perhaps someone would ban PugJesus, or conversely write special code (a 3rd party app / API recipient?) to highlight posts that PugJesus upvoted (isn't that how "boosting" works? at least re-tweeting does). It's really difficult to guess what someone wants, as each person wants different things. Which is why ultimately in an effort to make things more fair & equitable, the solution can end up making it less so. I like the follow-up suggestion to leave this new option OFF by default, so that an instance admin would have to specifically opt-in, perhaps as part of an overall suite of features limiting things like posts and comments as well. Although really, I think other approaches might work better - e.g. why would someone want to limit themselves to "some" of PugJesus' content, wouldn't they rather simply have it all or else ban him from the instance and therefore have none? I am not seeing the benefit realistically of having "some", especially when the delimiter is not based on community or overall content but simply what time of day (based on an arbitrary threshold for when they starts and ends to restart the next period) the votes are cast?
  • 2 Votazioni
    2 Post
    20 Visualizzazioni
    thecorncollector@piefed.zipT
    Also the organisation managing the IT systems used for research and education: https://www.surf.nl/en/how-does-mastodon-work
  • 1 Votazioni
    1 Post
    1 Visualizzazioni
    Nessuno ha risposto
  • 4 Votazioni
    4 Post
    36 Visualizzazioni
    B
    Good point. I assumed it was done as a joke, to make fun of American cuisine. But the more likely answer is ai slop. Seems to be more and more ai slop and bot on Lemmy lately.
  • 0 Votazioni
    1 Post
    8 Visualizzazioni
    Nessuno ha risposto

Citiverse è un progetto che si basa su NodeBB ed è federato! | Categorie federate | Chat | 📱 Installa web app o APK | 🧡 Donazioni | Privacy Policy

Il server utilizzato è quello di Webdock, in Danimarca. Se volete provarlo potete ottenere il 20% di sconto con questo link e noi riceveremo un aiuto sotto forma di credito da usare proprio per mantenere Citiverse.