Salta al contenuto
Citiverse è uno spazio aperto a tutte le comunità. Se vuoi aprire un gruppo locale o una sezione per la tua organizzazione, puoi contattare gli amministratori: pagina dei contatti.

GPT-5, the world best model just 1 year ago, is today inferior to Qwen3.6 27B that you can run on your desktop

Technology
61 27 53
  • It’s a bit misleading.

    Qwen 27B has way less “world knowledge” than GPT-5. Ask it random trivia without internet search access, and GPT would know waaay more.

    This is generally true of small vs large models.

    …But honestly, Qwen 27B is better at tool use or agentic stuff. It’s hyper optimized for just that and coding assistance, basically.

    This is often true of old vs new. Most newer models have hyper focused on agents/coding, often to the detriment of other use cases.


    Quantization for practically running Qwen 27V also has an impact. A off-the-shelf Q4_K_M is not the same as the unquantized weights in real-world use, or even an “optimized” quantization like a custom exl3.

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #21

    If you run it with RAG (retrieval augmented generation), where the model includes web search, you get pretty decent results. I often include the phrase "search the web extensively for up to date information" in my prompts.

  • I mean baking knowledge into a model isn't really all that useful to begin with. Just download wikipedia locally and have it access it through tool use, it's way more efficient and more accurate. And yeah, I find Q6 tends to be the sweet spot where it's close enough to full 16 bit in performance, but doesn't chew up too much memory.

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #22

    This is a pretty good idea I hadn't thought about. The whole wikipedia is about 37Gb.

  • This is for qwen 3.5, not 3.6, but the vram requirements are a little out there for most:

    16 to 55GB...

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #23

    I bought two RTX 3060 with 12 Gb each for a total of 24Gb VRAM. Sionce the cards are not top shelf anymore for gaming, they can be had used in the 200€ range, so my setup was 400€ over the cost of my existing PC. My PC, while not last gen was already pretty beefy, with a Ryzen 9 and 64 Gb RAM. I think 400€ to have a pretty good local AI setup is not bad at all.

  • This post did not contain any content.
    scritto su ultima modifica di monkdervierte@lemmy.zip
    #24

    Ok, but all of them are far too inefficient for what they deliver.

  • You don't want to run these models in RAM. I started using them on an RTX 3060-12Gb VRAM, and quickly added another, for 24Gb RAM. I also have 64 Gb RAM. Now it works well. Not lightning fast, but quite useable. VRAM is the key.

    scritto su ultima modifica di hubi@feddit.org
    #25

    Sure, but with a model of that size you are unloading layers in any case. I'm just saying you need 32 GBs of RAM at the minimum to be able to run it.

  • This post did not contain any content.
    scritto su ultima modifica di monkdervierte@lemmy.zip
    #26
    Questo post è eliminato!
  • [[topic:post-is-deleted]]
    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #27

    Gotta wait till Qwen 4 for proper font scaling.

  • I bought two RTX 3060 with 12 Gb each for a total of 24Gb VRAM. Sionce the cards are not top shelf anymore for gaming, they can be had used in the 200€ range, so my setup was 400€ over the cost of my existing PC. My PC, while not last gen was already pretty beefy, with a Ryzen 9 and 64 Gb RAM. I think 400€ to have a pretty good local AI setup is not bad at all.

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #28

    I very much regret getting a 3070, with only 8GB of ram... Only reason I am hesitant about 3060s is that dual cards will use more power, and the economics are already pretty dicey when the hosted models are being sold below cost.

  • [[topic:post-is-deleted]]
    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #29

    Gotta wait till Qwen 4 for proper font scaling.

  • What version do you use and how do you run Qwen3.6? I've played around a bit with the Q4 version in LM studio +Zed, but I was not happy with the results. It looses track very often and often enters infinite loops or just stops...

    scritto su ultima modifica di brucethemoose@lemmy.world
    #30

    I use an exl3, with 4 bit MLPs but higher bit depth attention layers. And I force some custom sampling so I can lower the temperature a bit while keeping it out of loops.

    This won’t work in LM Studio though. You have to run such a thing in TabbyAPI or some other backend that supports exllamav3.

  • I very much regret getting a 3070, with only 8GB of ram... Only reason I am hesitant about 3060s is that dual cards will use more power, and the economics are already pretty dicey when the hosted models are being sold below cost.

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #31

    I learnt a few years back that the most important driver in GPU. or any other non upgradable memory device obsolescence, is RAM. I got a banger of a deal a few years on a RX 480, but it was 4Gb, adequate at the time. The card was obsolete way faster than the 8GB.
    As for the power draw, are you planning to have your AI setup running 24/7? Nvtop (linux GPU monitoring app) reports 50-80% of the cards top power draw. There is also the fact that my data doesn't leave my setup.

  • I learnt a few years back that the most important driver in GPU. or any other non upgradable memory device obsolescence, is RAM. I got a banger of a deal a few years on a RX 480, but it was 4Gb, adequate at the time. The card was obsolete way faster than the 8GB.
    As for the power draw, are you planning to have your AI setup running 24/7? Nvtop (linux GPU monitoring app) reports 50-80% of the cards top power draw. There is also the fact that my data doesn't leave my setup.

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #32

    At the time, it wasn't clear that VRAM beyond 8GB was beneficial. Most cards at the time had basically capped at 8 for ages, and I wanted performance for ray tracing. In hindsight it was a bad call, but for gaming it made sense.

    Not 24/7, I'd just start my PC when I need it, but its still more power than I'd like.

    Keeping data local does make sense, which is why I have been toying with it. I can run relatively stepped on gemma4 models in 8GB, so for now, I'm happy, but im definitely looking at a Nvidia P40 as a second card.

  • Which one of them made these overlapping bar labels?

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #33

    Probably alibaba with Qwen

  • Ok, but all of them are far too inefficient for what they deliver.

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #34

    Ok, but that's a completely nonsensical statement. If you ever used Qwen in an agentic loop, you'd know that it delivers working code, and it takes about same resources as playing a modern game, and I don't see anybody whinging that game are too inefficient for what they deliver.

  • This is a pretty good idea I hadn't thought about. The whole wikipedia is about 37Gb.

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #35

    yeah, it's not a completely insane amount of data, and a db like postgres can do fast text search on that too with fuzzy matching

  • Kimi is better. Waiting for it to appear on Ollama Cloud.

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #36

    The difference is that you can run Qwen completely local though.

  • Those models are for general use. If you have business use case and data related to it you can finetune model for specific use that will outperform all of frontier models and run at fraction of cost.

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #37

    that's the other huge advantage of open models you can run locally

  • what kinda hardware do you need to "run this on your desktop"?

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #38

    You need a GPU with around 16gb vram at a minimum to run qunatized version.

  • Full quantisation? I've only got a 8GB 3070, but I'll give it a go

    Edit: Tried the unsloth/qwen3.6 with llama.CPP, and it failed to allocate a 26GB Vulcan buffer and died. Dunno what magic your using, no luck for me though 😞

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #39

    I run it using LM Studio, which defaults to Q4 quantization, I think. I was able to put about 10 layers on the GPU with 64k token context. That put me at about 9.1 GB VRAM usage, leaving some room for Video playback xD

  • I use an exl3, with 4 bit MLPs but higher bit depth attention layers. And I force some custom sampling so I can lower the temperature a bit while keeping it out of loops.

    This won’t work in LM Studio though. You have to run such a thing in TabbyAPI or some other backend that supports exllamav3.

    scritto su ultima modifica di
    #40

    Ok, thanks! Thaf sounds quite advanced, but I'll have a read afterwards 🙂


Citiverse è un progetto che si basa su NodeBB ed è federato! | Categorie federate | Chat | 📱 Installa web app o APK | 🧡 Donazioni | Privacy Policy

Il server utilizzato è quello di Webdock, in Danimarca. Se volete provarlo potete ottenere il 20% di sconto con questo link e noi riceveremo un aiuto sotto forma di credito da usare proprio per mantenere Citiverse.